Richard Jenrette, who co-founded the investment bank Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette in 1959, spent four decades on Wall Street. When he died last week from complications of cancer at the age of 89, he left behind on his desk 24 rules to succeed — in finance, and in life. The list, titled “What I Learned,” was shared Sunday at an intimate memorial service for family and local friends in Charleston, South Carolina. Here’s what it said:
What I Learned (How to Succeed)
(and have a Long and Happy Life)
- Stay in the game. That’s often all you need to do – don’t quit. Stick around! Don’t be a quitter!
- Don’t burn bridges (behind you)
- Remember – Life has no blessing like a good friend!
- You can’t get enough of them
- Don’t leave old friends behind – you may need them
- Try to be nice and say “thank you” a lot!
- Stay informed/KEEP LEARNING!
- Study — Stay Educated. Do Your Home Work!! Keep learning!
- Cultivate friends of all ages – especially younger
- Run Scared — over-prepare
- Be proud — no Uriah Heep for you! But not conceited. Know your own worth.
- Plan ahead but be prepared to allow when opportunity presents itself.
- Turn Problems into Opportunities. Very often it can be done. Problems create opportunities for change — people willing to consider change when there are problems.
- Present yourself well. Clean, clean-shaven, dress “classically” to age. Beware style, trends. Look for charm. Good grammar. Don’t swear so much — it’s not cute.
- But be open to change — don’t be stuck in mud. Be willing to consider what’s new but don’t blindly follow it. USE YOUR HEAD – COMMON SENSE.
- Have some fun – but not all the time!
- Be on the side of the Angels. Wear the White Hat.
- Have a fall-back position. Heir and the spare. Don’t leave all your money in one place.
- Learn a foreign language.
- Travel a lot — around the world, if possible.
- Don’t criticize someone in front of others.
- Don’t forget to praise a job well done (but don’t praise a poor job)
- I don’t like to lose — but don’t be a poor loser if you do.
- It helps to have someone to love who loves you (not just sex).
- Keep your standards high in all you do.
- Look for the big picture but don’t forget the small details.
- Making money from online forex trading is easy. When trading on the foreign exchange marker remember to use only the best forex broker that has genuine interest in your success so that you can make 30% – 50% return on your investment easily on monthly basis!
Best way of making good profits on daily, weekly and monthly basis is by trading forex online with the world’s best forex broker (since 2007). Try now a Demo or Go Live!
DOUBLE Your Forex Trading Account on monthly basis with our step-by-step guide for profitable forex trading!
Open Your Account now and contact us on WhatsApp immediately to receive the guide!